Preparation is Key
Estate planning is all about being prepared if something happens to one of the family’s bread winners, and is an essential process no matter what your age, income, or the value of your assets. While none of us really wants to think about dying, estate planning ensures that assets after one passes away go to those they were intended for. Just as importantly, estate planning also ensures that one’s end of life experience is carried out as that individual has designated.
If you want to learn more about estate planning and what it may mean for you and your loved ones; don’t hesitate to call the San Antonio estate planning attorneys of Allen & Roig, LLP today. Without the proper planning and documentation, the state of Texas will make decisions that you are no longer able to make and those decisions may not be what you wanted for yourself, your assets, or your family.
What are the Benefits of Estate Planning?
- You Decide Who Inherits Your Assets – This can be done through a will, beneficiary designation, a trust, or owning assets jointly. We will discuss all of these options with you and help you decide what works best for your situation.
- Decisions About Health Care – If you become incapacitated temporarily or permanently you can direct your doctors and family to make certain decisions for you. This can be done with a medical directive and power of attorney as part of your planning process and will avoid a court appointed guardianship that will affect you and your property.
- Decisions About Minor Children – These can be made by appointing a guardian and designating a trustee to manage the money the children receive.
- Consideration of Blended Families – Make sure that the children, property, and assets that have been brought into and/or created by the blending of families, are handled in the way you intend them to be.
- Deciding What Happens to Your Assets if Your Spouse Survives You – If you want the remaining assets you left to your spouse to stay in your family after his/her death, there are ways to make specific gifts or set up trusts to ensure this will happen.
- Protect the Value of the Assets You Leave Behind – A major goal in estate planning is transferring assets to heirs with the smallest tax burden possible. In addition, setting up trusts can protect against creditor’s claims to your assets. Our firm will advise you about various options.
- Prevent Family Issues – Having a will eliminates some of the misunderstandings that occur after a loved-one’s death, and our firm can advise on how to avoid a will contest. Executing a simple will does not avoid probate but probate doesn’t have to be costly. We will discuss the appropriate strategies with you.
Proper Planning Avoids Both Legal and Personal Hassles
When it comes to estate planning, there are significant financial and personal benefits to being proactive and meeting with San Antonio estate planning attorneys. You will determine how you want your personal, medical and financial affairs handled, and the firm of Allen & Roig, LLP will counsel you and prepare the proper documents to ensure that occurs. You will not be leaving behind bewildered family members to try to sort out your affairs, and in addition, you can save a significant amount of your wealth with the proper tax planning. Call Allen & Roig, LLP today. We will make sure that you are well-informed and confident about the preparations and choices you make.