What Is A Parenting Plan in a Texas Divorce?
When children are involved, one of the most challenging parts of a divorce is the development of a parenting plan. A parenting plan is an agreement between parents regarding the custody, child support, and child visitation schedule once a divorce is final. It describes in detail how they will “co-parent” and continue to raise their children. Putting together a good, workable plan that is in the best interest of the children, and one that will likely be accepted by the courts, requires the guidance of experienced family law attorneys. Allen & Roig, LLP, the premier law firm in San Antonio, TX, works specifically with families just like yours. Our attorneys provide the expertise to counsel you through this essential part of your divorce. We know how important it is that your children receive the best possible upbringing as they adjust to the new type of family structure and we will always work toward that goal.
How to Develop a Good Parenting Plan
Good parenting plans are designed first and foremost with the children in mind, and there are many aspects that must be addressed. The plan will have a description about how you and the child’s other parent will share or divide the responsibilities and tasks of raising your child. When the parenting plan is accepted by the court, it becomes a legal document and part of your divorce agreement. According to Texas family law, the plan should include details pertaining to:
- Custody Issues
- Physical custody arrangements, and if shared, whose address will be used for determining the school where the children will attend
- Visitation rights and scheduling
- Access to children
- Parental duties and rights with regard to children’s everyday lives and planning for the future
- Financial Support
- Child support as set by the final agreement
- Various other financial responsibilities
- Ensuring the children have frequent and continual contact and a good relationship with both parents
- Acceptable methods of communication
- Other Issues
- Amiable process for resolving other issues such as education, health care, extra-curricular activities, religious observance, holidays, vacation time, and any unexpected situations that may arise
How Allen & Roig, LLP Can Help
Allen & Roig, LLP, the preeminent law firm in San Antonio, TX, understands that each family is special and their particular divorce situation is unique. Unless it is not in the best interest of the children, every child should have frequent and continuing contact with both parents, and your parenting plan should reflect that as its goal. We will discuss your family situation, the factors that affect the best interest of the children, and explain your rights and responsibilities. With our expertise you can put together an effective parenting plan so you can play the most appropriate and loving role in your children’s lives. Contact Allen & Roig, LLP today and we will work tirelessly and diligently for you. We look forward to that opportunity!